Monday, January 4, 2016

From the Scriptorium, just past the New Year

From the Scriptorium, just past the New Year

Hello, my friend!

Your letter made me laugh to image the mail carrier’s expression! If the lighthouse was even half as run down as you’d described it when you first took up residency, I can only imagine the townsfolk must have thought it abandoned long ago. Perhaps he thought he was going to come face to face with a ghost!

Your lioness sounds like a wise creature not to go out in weather like that! It’s cold even here. It must be bitter and bone-chilling by the sea. Does the lioness have a name? Well, certainly she must have a name she calls herself; if only we could understand more of what they say! I wonder what our animal friends name us?

Ha! Your sister is adept at getting to information that doesn’t want to be discovered. She should work as a spy. I am glad she’s doing well. Maybe you should give her the most boring version of the truth possible. Perhaps that will stop rumors and allow actual fact to surface which could be of some use to you. Of course, I don’t know her or the villagers nearly as well as you do, so I could be way off, but that tactic has worked for me in the past quite admirably!

Some odd things have happened here of late. First, Keith, the elderly and much beloved former stable master, took a bad fall down some steps and broke his hip. The physician did all he could and the old man is resting in reasonable comfort. In a younger person, it would be a bad but recoverable injury, but in such an old one, well…we are waiting.

As if his accident wasn’t enough, the whole court has been laid low with a bad illness. I hesitate to call it a plague, for it is not that same dreaded pestilence from history, nor does it seem as deadly. It has hit the old ones hard, though, and those who were already sickly or recovering from an illness or injury. Hence why we are doubly concerned for Keith. We lost a handful of elders suffering from a lung disease, an injured sentry whose wound had begun to fester, and a woman recently brought to childbed with a difficult delivery. As hard as these deaths are to bear, there are three that I find terribly disturbing: the head cook, her assistant, and the head scribe who had given me my job in the scriptorium. Aside from my personal sadness, for she had taken me under her wing since my arrival and was excellent in her duties, these three were in excellent health. I can’t put my finger on it, but I feel something is wrong here. Maybe I’m just unsettled from all the other things that have been happening. We have all been taking extra work in the scriptorium and in the kitchens to help cover the work that needs doing in the absence of these women.

At least we have had a bountiful harvest of squash this season. The Three Sisters – beans, corn, and squash – are the staple foods in the desert. We should have plenty of stores to get us through the drought of summer, but we’ll have to be careful. How odd to consider summer the season of short supply! But it’s so hot and dry here that nothing can grow, so they store up food in preparation for summer… I imagine I shall be as tired of the Sisters as you are of fish before long!

I hope you are happy in your research, despite the weather, and that my letter hasn’t unsettled you as well. I shall be glad when spring arrives. One of the other scribes, Miri, has become a friend. She has her first baby due near the spring equinox. I am looking forward to playing the doting “auntie.”

Off to the kitchens with me, which is strange…

~X

No comments:

Post a Comment